Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Re: autoredirect for savannah downloads

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Re: autoredirect for savannah downloads
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 17:48:32 -0500

    to run this as an official service,

It's as official as it's going to get as far as I know.  At least, I
never had plans for anything beyond what we've got.

    and ftp.gnu.org

No, we certainly don't want to redirect the ftp.gnu.org name itself.
People need to be able to choose whether to get the autoredirect or
not.  Hence the ftpmirror.gnu.org name.  That is where GNU sysadmin's
involvement began and ended.  And that is fine, IMHO.

    to actually redirect to the _fastest_ nearest mirror.

What's done now is the best that can be done, as far as I know.
Do you have something else in mind?
It's not like there is some global network topology table that has
traceroutes for every computer on the Internet!

    since very seldom maintainers update packages on
    the same day.

Sure.  But my point/worry is about something else: that distro X will
think that the new version of package foo has disappeared because they
hit a different mirror that happens to be a day older and doesn't have
the new release yet.

karl