Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] autoredirect for savannah downloads

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] autoredirect for savannah downloads
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 17:18:05 -0500

    Hmm, this is wrong, I believe.  The geographically closest mirror is
    not necessarily the fastest one.

Sure, but it's the only information available.  It is much better than
just choosing one completely at random.

As I recall, it doesn't always choose the same one, either -- it's
probabilistic, not deterministic.

    ftp://ftpmirror.gnu.org/gnu/m4/m4-1.4.12.tar.gz

Two things:
1) the protocol is http://ftpmirror, not ftp://.
2) you must omit the /gnu level.  (Not every mirror calls their
   directory "gnu".  [In fact I wish ftp.gnu.org didn't either, but
   that's another story.])

Thus,
wget http://ftpmirror.gnu.org/m4/m4-1.4.12.tar.gz works for me.

karl