Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] redirecting download areas

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] redirecting download areas
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 17:25:21 -0500

    We can implement a specific HTTP redirection in that folder. Ok, I
    even did so.

Instructions for the future on what you did?

    I suggest the redirection be temporary (like 6 months)
    to avoid them from piling up.

"Piling up"?  It's not like the existing references to that url in
mailing lists, software releases, etc., are ever going to go away.
My initial reaction is that it should be permanent.  It's not like there
will ever be hundreds of these cases.

    Btw I remember Elfyn once implemented this site-wide and people
    complained, because some GNU maintainers use both download areas
    differently

Not that it's supercritical, but it seems like a mistake to me.  GNU
maintainers should use ftp.gnu.org and alpha.gnu.org, shouldn't they?
Using savannah just means another place for people to look.  That isn't
documented in the maintainers file, either.

    (including myself these days :)).

Ok, as an example, why do you use the savannah area?

karl