[Savannah-hackers-public] [gnu.org #368989] Ocelote GUG

From: Yavor Doganov via RT
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] [gnu.org #368989] Ocelote GUG
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 06:51:26 -0400

This is a classic chicken-and-egg problem, which I wanted to discuss
when I saw task #8191.  Now the ticket came to webmasters.

Romel Sandoval writes:

> I'm trying to create a GNU User Group on Savannah [1], but after some
> waiting, I read something on Savannah user's mailling list [2] that
> says I need need to have my GUG reviewed by the GNU team and get
> listed at:
> http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-user-groups.html
>
> So this mail is to ask my GUG to be reviewed and listed.
>
> The GUG it's for Mexico and it's name it's Ocelote.
>
> Thank you.
>
> [1] https://savannah.gnu.org/task/?8191
> [2] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/savannah-users/2008-07/msg00004.html

To get your GUG project approved, it needs to be listed at
gnu-user-groups.  To be listed there, webmasters must review the GUG's
webpage.

This has several flaws:

1) The purpose of registering a project at Savannah is sometimes namely
the ability to host the group's webpage(s).  This new GUG doesn't have,
so webmasters' hands are tied, more or less.

2) Not all GUG's have webpages, some may need a Savannah project for a
mailing list, or the trackers.  Although unlikely, that's a valid case.

3) Neither webmasters nor Savannah hackers can ensure that the pages at
foo-gug.nongnu.org will always comply with the rules.

I'm not sure what's the right thing to do, but it is clear that we have
a problem that has to be solved somehow.