Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Vanilla gitweb vs repo.or.cz

From: H. Langos
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Vanilla gitweb vs repo.or.cz
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 21:35:22 +0200

On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 01:59:30PM +0200, Petr Baudis wrote:
>   Hi,
>
>  [...]
>   The gitweb patches in git/repo.git are superset of git/gitweb.git
> patches and the extra patches are I believe (at least not currently)
> interesting for general gitweb public. However, some of them _might_
> be interesting for large-scale gitweb hosting like yours. Some of them
> might end up in git/gitweb.git after some cleanup (graphiclog link,
> email addresses obfuscation, ...).

IMHO "email addresses obfuscation" would be a big plus for git on Svannah.
Mercurial does it out of the box. It provides a set of filters that
you can apply onto the replacements that it does when generating the
html output from combining the repositories data with templates
(another plus of the mercurial web interface).

Check out the "Filter" paragraph on
http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/wiki/index.cgi/Theming for details.

No, I don't do PR for mercurial. I just think that not everybody has
such a strong spam blocker as Linus apparently has :-)
http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/git/2006/8/26/210981

If maintaining such a patch to gitweb is to bothersome then address
munging could be done in a wrapper around gitwebs output.
I remember having seen an apache mod that could do this.

This would protect email addresses even when they are part of the
data. (Like in a README or AUTHORS file in your project's repository).

Cheers
-h