Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Exact Search patch

From: Nicodemo Alvaro
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Exact Search patch
Date: Thu, 08 May 2008 16:57:14 -0400 (EDT)

>When you feel confident that the code runs fine at Savannah and
>there's no bug, we could tell RMS that this improved the search
>results for 'emacs', as he requested.

Well, what should we look for when looking for bugs? We should not just be comfortable with my addition but also make sure that we are comfortable with the other search results as well, since that is what we are trying to improve.

How does it handle multiple words? With your modification I think it handles more complex queries. It can take a search of 'The Emacs Lisp' and bring back the 'emacs' project because of one the keywords is the project name. When it has multiple keywords such as 'emacs XX' it does not bring back anything, because the grander search does not bring back anything.

Does it handle foreign characters? Savannah has a project with some foreign characters in its full name.
http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/mozilla-bg#options. When you try to search for those foreign characters on the Savannah site it does not return anything. When I placed those foreign characters as in a few fullname in my database it does return multiple results, but not a unique result.

How about a project that has the same full name as another's short description? The search will redirect to the page where the keywords match the full name.

Search for more than one project? May give no result or you could be redirected to one of the project pages.

What about that simple search of 'emacs'? It seems to me to be handling very well. It will be bring it back as a unique result without degrading the full results.

How about when no result is found? With the change I made, the webpage will not say what was searched for in a heading.

Does this cover all the range of possibilities?