Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Re: CVS server clogged up

From: Steve White
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Re: CVS server clogged up
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2008 15:36:10 +0200

Karl,

On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 2:06 AM, Karl Berry <address@hidden> wrote:
> FWIW, I have had similar problems with CVS servers (including but not
>  limited to savannah) in the past, even though the server is running
>  fine.  It was due to network hobgoblins between me and the server.

I don't deny that explanation, but it needs confirmation.  Otherwise,
it would sound "convenient" for the sysadmin.

A day down is very inconvenient to a busy developer.

>  What ameliorated the situation for me, a little, was to put this in my
>  ~/.ssh/config:
>  ServerAliveInterval  30
>  ServerAliveCountMax 100
>  TCPKeepAlive no

I had already, as a fix for some other problem,

TCPKeepAlive          yes
ServerAliveInterval    60
ServerAliveCountMax     3

But I'll try yours.  (I stupidly failed to put a comment there saying
what the fix was for...and I can't remember now...)

>  FWIW, there were no trouble reports from anyone else.  If CVS had been
>  completely down for everyone for most of a day, as it was for you, there
>  would have been.

The CVS history file would tell.  What does it say?

Cheers!