[Savannah-hackers-public] Re: creating a role-based account for mirror-c

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] Re: creating a role-based account for mirror-cvs2git
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2008 10:44:03 +0100

On Fri, Mar 07, 2008 at 10:34:44PM +0100, Jim Meyering wrote:
> Hi Sylvain,
>
> At the request of Ralf Wildenhues, I'm setting up a second
> (after emacs) mirror-to-git process, this time for libtool.
>
> With this I may finally take the time to set up a regular
> (non-root) account to perform the task properly.
> IMHO, it must be in vcs-noshell.  I was thinking of naming
> the user mirror-cvs2git, but any name is fine.  It will have
> some local data (e.g., copy of each git repo) and cron jobs.
>
> Ok to create such a user?  Then, the only question is where
> to put its home directory.  Do you have a preference?
> I nearly created e.g., /h and put its home dir a sub-directory
> of that, but figured it'd be better to ask first.

Hi,

As far as I understand, you're essentially setting up a daemon, rather
than a user, so you could create it as such:
- low uid
- homedir in /var/lib/cvs2git (where cvs2git is the name of the daemon)

How do you plan to maintain the daemon's group memberships? Or will it
own the repositories?

--
Sylvain