[Savannah-hackers-public] Re: Git pserver

From: Jim Meyering
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] Re: Git pserver
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2007 13:49:36 +0100

Sylvain Beucler <address@hidden> wrote:
> I switched Savannah to the Git package from backports.org, because it
> will be easier for other people to update it.
>
> I installed git-core and git-cvs, in both the main server, and in the
> 'cvs' vserver (where is it needed exactly already?).

Hi Sylvain,

Thanks!
It wasn't officially needed there.
It would be needed if I were syncing emacs' cvs-to-git
in the cvs vserver.  Currently, I'm doing it via the host vserver.

> Incidentally, to bypass packages dependencies I had to create a fake
> "cvs" package, using the 'equivs' method I discussed earlier. I also
> remember you mentioned something about cvsps, I though it was already
> installed, but apparently it wasn't; can you refresh my memory? :)

It's required if we're going to do any incremental cvs-to-git sync
(via git-cvsimport) in the cvs vserver.

> Last, I tested git-cvsserver. It works for gnulib, but it fails for
> freedink:
> cvs -d:pserver:address@hidden:/freedink.git co HEAD
> cvs checkout: warning: unrecognized response `Died at /usr/bin/git-cvsserver
> line 2640, <FILELIST> chunk 4.' from cvs server
> cvs checkout: warning: unrecognized response `Issuing rollback() for database
> handle being DESTROY'd without explicit disconnect(), <FILELIST> line 4.'
> from cvs server
> cvs [checkout aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages if
> any)
>
> I enabled a log like you did for gnulib.git, you can have a look?
> 2007-11-08 00:38:29 : DEBUG - GITCVS::updater - Processing commit
> 494a33f37d8c6231c99a99708c7e4d9d54e76271 (139 of 182)
> 2007-11-08 00:38:29 : WARN  - UNKNOWN FILE CHANGE mode=6,
> hash=662b71c28b5cc0dc6ea8edccb32c3f50d9ce15c5, change=T, name=README

That's odd.
It looks like your cvs client sent a 'T' change command, which
isn't recognized.  Only 'D'elete, 'M'odified and 'A'dded are recognized.

What client/version are you using?