Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Re: git repository out of order?

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Re: git repository out of order?
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 11:23:39 +0100

On Tue, Jan 23, 2007 at 09:06:28AM +0100, Jim Meyering wrote:
> ...[Bruno couldn't clone coreutils.git]
> I wrote:
> > Yep, something happened on savannah that made git stop working for
> > everyone.  I followed that mailing list thread, and instrumented my local
> > copy of git.  Then, cloning shows the problem:
> >
> >     $ git-clone git://git.sv.gnu.org/coreutils
> >     Initialized empty Git repository in /t/.j/coreutils/.git/
> >     error: protocol error: bad line length character
> >     <<<<<
> >     env: git-daemon: No such file or directory
> >
> >     >>>>>
> >     fatal: protocol error: bad line length character
> >     fetch-pack from 'git://git.sv.gnu.org/coreutils' failed.
> >     [Exit 1]
> >
> > Something (git-shell?) is using env to invoke git-daemon,
> > but git-daemon is not in PATH.
> >
> > I'll look into it in the morning.
>
> I've fixed it.
> Somehow /etc/xinet.d/git had this:
>
>         passenv         = PATH
>         server          = /usr/bin/env
>         server_args     = git-daemon --inetd --export-all
> --base-path=/srv/git /srv/git
>
> while PATH apparently does not include /usr/local/bin.
> I changed it to this:
>
>         passenv         = PATH
>         server          = /usr/local/bin/git-daemon
>         server_args     = --inetd --export-all --base-path=/srv/git /srv/git
>
> and restarted xinetd.

The default vserver PATH doesn't include /usr/local. Nor does the
default init PATH. Nor does the default Debian 'rc' PATH.

Do you know why btw? I fail to see why distros won't allow easy
extension through /usr/local :(

What had happened is:
- I restarted xinetd using invoke-rc.d and root's PATH, which include /usr/local
- I tested and it worked
- I rebooted Savannah days later
- The xinetd PATH 'reset' to /usr
- git could not be launched through env/PATH

Pfa.

I added a new PATH in /etc/vservers/.defaults/apps/init/environment
that includes /usr/local.

This will be overriden by Etch's /etc/init.d/rc which has a hard-coded
PATH as well, so I need to find a fix for that as well...

For now I didn't revert /etc/xinetd.d/git.

--
Sylvain