Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] git-to-cvs for coreutils

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] git-to-cvs for coreutils
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 15:21:58 +0100

On Mon, Jan 08, 2007 at 02:39:19PM +0100, Jim Meyering wrote:
> Sylvain Beucler <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Or, you can volunteer
> > for keeping on eye on this program and upgrade it on a regular basis,
> > and document its existence in the infra/git.txt documentation :)
>
> That's a good compromise.
> I've just added comments to that effect in that file.

Good.

Oh btw, infra/ is managed by GNU Arch, so you can
$ tla commit -s "commit message"
to publish the change. A client hook will send mail as well.

> >> I can change it to something else, if you'd like, but the default
> >> is unusable.
> >>
> >> The "mail" program is not usable without -a 'From ...' because when
> >> sending mail to my address, it uses that same address in the From_ header.
> >> That would cause my mail system (or any reasonably strict anti-spam setup)
> >> to smtp-reject it as a forgery, since it is claiming to be from my domain
> >> (meyering.net), while actually coming from sv.gnu.org.
> >>
> >> I've just fixed the update hook to work properly:
> >>
> >>         * /srv/git/coreutils.git/hooks/update: Use "mail -a 'From ...',
> >>         not "mail -a 'From: ...'.
> >
> > Ok (currently this is indeed not addressed with e.g. the CVS commit
> > hooks).  I wonder if it wouldn't make sense to accept sv.gnu.org as a
> > valid sender for meyering.net - since SV is kinda proxying a mail
> > request from you in this context. Oh well.
>
> It doesn't seem like a proxy for meyering.net to me.  Somehow (this
> seems like a bug, but I can't reproduce it from the command line)
> without the -a, mail(1) uses the recipient address as the From_ one.
> So, if someone were to use this set-up for another project, and to put
> their address in the script in place of mine, they'd encounter the same
> problem, but for their domain.

I'll check that. I think that, commiting to git as user ~meyering, the
system sends mail under that user name, and then Savane configures the
mail system to use their Savannah account's mail (instead of the
non-existing address@hidden) as sender
(cf. /vservers/internal/etc/email-addresses).

> > address@hidden can be used as a valid (and :blackhole) sender
> > adress I think.
>
> Thanks.  The hook script now uses that.
>
> > Btw please update the wiki some of this is interesting.
>
> Where?

https://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/
https://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/Git
:)