Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] git-to-cvs for coreutils

From: Jim Meyering
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] git-to-cvs for coreutils
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 08:50:09 +0100

Sylvain Beucler <address@hidden> wrote:
> I'll check the code more deeply asap, just a few comments meanwhile:
>
> - we install software along with security updates. In the case of git
> we track upstream's git manually and make a debian package based on
> backport.org's git-core/debian/ files. You want to install git-cvs

Upstream git would be nice (it's what I use), but all I need is that
one script.

> which unfortunately requires a newer version of cvsps not packages for
> sarge. This begins to be cumbersome so we might drop the Debian
> packaging and install git from bare sources.
>
> Check ~/infra/git.txt for details.
>
> Anyway I mean it's Bad (tm) to install binaries (git-cvsexportcommit)

Sorry to step on your toes already.
In case it matters, git-cvsexportcommit is a Perl script, not a binary.
Should I put it somewhere else, for now?

> without a security track. Feel free to install software but setup
> security/updates alongside :)
>
> - I try to imagine how this could then be automated. I'm thinking of
> something smilar to CVS commitinfo/loginfo: 'update' would then be a
> wrapper script generated by Savane, calling your unmodified script
> with command line arguments. It would be good then to be able to
> control your script with command line arguments instead of using a
> modified version of the script for each project.
>
> - I'm not sure address@hidden is a valid adress, there's no smtp
> service for receiving mail at SV. I don't understand the issue with
> mails "From: address@hidden", can you explain me?

I can change it to something else, if you'd like, but the default
is unusable.

The "mail" program is not usable without -a 'From ...' because when
sending mail to my address, it uses that same address in the From_ header.
That would cause my mail system (or any reasonably strict anti-spam setup)
to smtp-reject it as a forgery, since it is claiming to be from my domain
(meyering.net), while actually coming from sv.gnu.org.

I've just fixed the update hook to work properly:

        * /srv/git/coreutils.git/hooks/update: Use "mail -a 'From ...',
        not "mail -a 'From: ...'.