Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Unix Admin wanted for Savannah Administrat

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Unix Admin wanted for Savannah Administration
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 17:26:53 +0200

Hello Michael,

On Sat, Aug 26, 2006 at 05:40:45PM +0000, address@hidden wrote:
> Savannah Hackers,
>
> I've seen your petition for Unix Admin and am interested. I would
> like information at a high level as to what this entitles. First let
> me tell you little about myself.
>
> I am a proponent of open source, at the same time I work for
> Oracle. I have over twenty years of software experience including:
> programming (assembler, c, c++, ada, java, unix scripts, etc) ,
> database/system administration and project management. I have always
> maintained my technical skill. and have worked with Unix since the
> 80's.
>
> My questions are:
> Is the position volunteers or paid?
> Can the work be performed remotely? I live in Europe and have a high
> speed internet access.
> How much effort is involved? I not interested in leaving Oracle. I
> am interested in helping GNU.
>
> I'm not interested in database or programming tasks to avoid any
> conflict of interest. I'm only interest system administration.
>
> I could send a resume after I understand more about the position.

This is a request for volunteers who can give a hand to Savannah. We
are all volunteers, except for a few tasks performed by the (paid) FSF
sysadmins.

We work remotely. The amount of effort is not as much important as its
regularity :)

The tasks involved span a large spectrum, from user assistance to
backend development - which may but although may not conflict with
your employer's field.

I advice newcomers to start with project submissions analysis as
explained in the Job page, and extend to different tasks as they get
acquainted with the GNU philosophy and the Savannah architecture.

Feel free to have a look at the maintenance wiki at
https://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/TasksList
and drop by IRC #savannah on FreeNode.

--
Sylvain