Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Licence question.

From: Steven Robson
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Licence question.
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 10:32:16 +0100

On Tuesday 16 May 2006 09:44, tizzef @ gmail wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Does anybody could help me to know if this licence
> (http://developers.sun.com/license/berkeley_license.html) is or not
> compatible with the GNU GPL ??
> Is this licence is like the Berkeley Database License (aka the
> Sleepycat Software Product License) or not ???

Hi tizzef,

It looks to me like the modified BSD license, with the addition of the nuclear
facility clause.

That clause would seem to me to make it not compatible with the GPL. The
software is not licensed for use in a nuclear facility, which goes against
freedom zero, the freedom to run the program for any purpose.

It's not the sleepycat license, although it is quite similar. The sleepycat
license seems to actually be made up from 3 licenses.

The actual modified BSD license is compatible with the GPL. It is listed here.
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html#GPLCompatibleLicenses

StevenR