[Savannah-hackers-public] Re: Mailman upgrade

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] Re: Mailman upgrade
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 23:05:43 -0700

Sylvain Beucler wrote:
> Given all the troubles that lists.gnu.org currently experiences, and
> the work sysadmin is currently doing to revamp everything, I'd
> recommend waiting for the new setup to be inplace before to start
> making changes.

I am happy with a cautious approach.  Especially when we don't know
exactly what is in the plans.  Is there a roadmap that would describe
the direction things are moving toward for lists.gnu.org?  Even rough
information would be useful.  But without information we can only
propose improvements based upon the current configuration and
capabilities that we know about today.

> Moving generic_nonmember_action to something else than 'accept' would
> require some user education; lots of lists, including ours, have this
> option set to 'accept' (although I started moderating one).

Regretably, many other mailing list sites have started the move to
subscriber only.  Spam is getting to be such a problem and hated so
much that subscriber-only, flawed though it is, is seen as the
lessor of two evils.  It is still evil.  Just not Evil.

> Users tend to think that spam ought to be filtered by the sysadmins
> without any end-user intervention.

Yes.  Because that is the most efficient place to filter it out.  And
if it is not done there then the mailing list becomes a spam source
itself.

> If on the contrary we think that supervision is necessary
> individually for each list (as I believe is the case with Bob's
> system), we need to explain it.

You understand correctly that supervision needed with my spamassassin
plugin.

Bob