[Savannah-hackers-public] Re: [gnu.org #250073] wikimedia, make a fork a

From: NSK
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] Re: [gnu.org #250073] wikimedia, make a fork and the GPL
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2005 00:18:31 +0300

On Friday 02 September 2005 23:36, Sebastian Wieseler wrote:
> We can also have a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Version:
> "This wiki is powered by MediaWiki, copyright (C) 2001-2005 Magnus Manske,
> Brion Vibber, Lee Daniel Crocker, Tim Starling, Erik Moeller, and others."

Personally in my derivative work of MediaWiki (Oklahoma) I think it would be
ok to use the following notice in the source files and the about text:
"Oklahoma, copyright (C) 2005 by Nikolaos S. Karastathis, is a derivative
work of MediaWiki, copyright (C) 2001-2005 Magnus Manske, Brion Vibber, Lee
Daniel Crocker, Tim Starling, Erik Moeller, and others" or something like
that. Plus, I would add all necessary GPL (2 and later versions) notices
required. Then I would add in some readme file that my copyright is limited
only in the code I wrote, and that the rest is copyrighted by the others et
al.

If I can find the "others", that would be good, but I would have to look into
years of CVS logs (but again, how could I know that the committer is really
the author of the committed code?). I don't think it's easy, and in my view
if these "others" really wanted to get credit they would have been included
in MediaWiki credits a long time ago. But I have no problem putting their
names in the notice if I can find them easily.

--
Nikolaos S. Karastathis (NSK)
Personal Homepage at http://nsk.wikinerds.org/