[Savannah-hackers-public] Re: Projects that mistakenly chose the Savanna

From: Karl Berry
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] Re: Projects that mistakenly chose the Savannah "GNU" project type
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 12:33:51 -0400

Hi Sylvain,

Thanks for writing.

    I wonder if we sometimes forward you Savannah project submission whose
    author didn't really mean to make his project dubbed GNU.

I have wondered that too.  We have gotten quite a few requests in the
past week or two.  Many of the projects seem fairly obscure.  Not that I
have anything against them, or think we shouldn't evaluate them, but I
think it would be good to explain a little more up front what it means
to be GNU.

I can imagine a couple things to do (not mutually exclusive):

1) make the default selection be "choose one", instead of "Official GNU
   Software".

2) explain, probably on a separate page that is linked, the implications
   of offering to be a GNU project.  I can send you some text, or maybe
   we should just put it on www.gnu.org (so we can maintain it) and you
   can link to it.

3) require people to fill out a simple cgi form to offer their software
   -- the same form we send them now in email.  It is logistically
   impossible to put a cgi on www.gnu.org (long story), but I imagine
   that you can write one for savannah with no trouble.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Karl