savannah-dev

[Savannah-dev] [bugs #4619] Add a dedicated feature tracker.

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-dev] [bugs #4619] Add a dedicated feature tracker.
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 11:16:17 -0500

This mail is an automated notification from the bugs tracker
 of the project: Savannah.

[bugs #4619] Latest Modifications:

Changes by:
                Mathieu Roy <address@hidden>
'Date:
                Thu 11/27/2003 at 17:16 (Europe/Paris)

            What     | Removed                   | Added
              Status | Open                      | Closed

Now the support tracker is widely configurable, I believe that it could be used
as "request tracker" (hum, I still think that these request belongs to a
support tracker -- but it is maybe due to an incorrect interpretation of
"support request", since it is an English term and since I'm not english).

I close the request :)) now.

If many people ask for that, it can still be reconsidered later.

[bugs #4619] Full Item Snapshot:

Project: Savannah
Submitted by: Bernhard Reiter
On: Mon 08/04/2003 at 15:47

Category:  Wishlist
Severity:  1 - Enhancement
Fixed Release:
Affected release:

Original Submission:  So far an explicit tracker for features and wishes

would be a plus for savannah. Here is a link to my

question for this

http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/savannah-hackers/2003-01/msg00631.html

It might the case that I can configure the current system

to have something similiar, that separates wishes and bugs

using areas and customized bug reports. Then it would help

to have that documented or even prepared.

(According to the "Contact Us" page this hopefully is

the right place to make this wish.)

Follow-up Comments
------------------

Date: Wed 09/10/2003 at 18:02       By: bernhard
As for the confusion I believe that you can clearly

separate bug reports (technical) and feature request/wishes

(technical) from support requests (with a focus on non-detailed questions) and
tasks (everything, usually a

lot more than a minor technical wish or feature).

And just because a wish is entered, does not make it a task.

On the other hand around, because of the usability history

and the mentioned separation, it is more confusing to report

minor but technical feature requests as "bugs" or "support" requests.

Date: Wed 09/10/2003 at 17:58       By: bernhard
Naturally I'm satisfied with any good solution

that makes it clear to people where the feature requests

should go. This goes for project maintainers

and people having (technical) feature requests.

Sf of course does not have the best interface,

I'm ready to use a better one on Savannah. :)

E.g. one problem with sf's choice is that you cannot easily

shift an item from bug to feature request.

However many people do knon that sf interface already

and subsequently ask: Where should my entries go then?

This is the usability backpack we are carrying.

I believe that having prepared, optional,

separated links to view bugs and features request,

even when they are in the same tracker are a needed

improvement. I don't know the best place for this links

nor the best implementation for this "feature"

and I appreciate your design efforts.

You probably will add a description on how to handle

feature request somewhere and this will be useful to

other project maintainers then.

Date: Wed 09/10/2003 at 17:41       By: yeupou
I asked around me what others may think about this proposal and in fact we
reached the conclusion that, even if it's technically possible, it would
probably creates more confusion -- and also it would waste precious space on
the top menu.

The fact that SF.net made this choice does not really of this choice a good
idea (I'm not even able to understand what they mean by "RFE").

Basically, the "support request" purpose is to be the place where users post
theirs questions/wishes/problems about the project. So creating a new tracker
just for wishes, even if it makes easier the life of a few persons, risk to
truly confuses the others.

Basically, when a wish from a user is accepted by the projects members, it
becomes a task, managed by the task tracker.

Date: Wed 09/10/2003 at 17:19       By: yeupou
Ok. I think it should be possible. I'll try to see.

Date: Wed 09/10/2003 at 16:34       By: bernhard
I think that preparing links on upper levels

to limit the bug view to feature requests is needed then.

Alsoo the defaults that the bug links will not show the feature requests.

I always made the destiction between a "help" request:

"Help we to do this?" which usually is a general question

wanting and answer and a feature request or wish.

The former can be mapped to "support", but the latter

might be much more technical in the range of a detailed

thing to do.

Having categories without prepares separation

would not help enough, IMO. :)

Date: Wed 09/10/2003 at 15:48       By: yeupou
Hi,

It will work like the bug tracker right, where you can easily browse by
category, search by category.

bugs / patch / task / support request will all be completely separated. But a
wish is usually a support request of one major category, isn't it?

Date: Wed 09/10/2003 at 15:29       By: bernhard
It is hard to judge if advanced categories will do the job,

because I don't know how this will work.

It should be possible to view the bugs and feature request/wishes completely
seperated from each other.

Date: Wed 09/10/2003 at 15:19       By: yeupou
We'll soon have advanced categories in the support tracker. Wouldn't do the job
in an efficient way?

For detailed info, follow this link:
<http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=4619>

  Message sent via/by Savannah