savannah-dev

[Savannah-dev] Re: epm and savannah patch manager

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-dev] Re: epm and savannah patch manager
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 16:43:27 +0100

(moved to savannah-dev)

Hi Karl,

The current patch tracker, builtin, in the production version no
longer exists in the development version of Savannah.

Appart from that, I was not able to get, without compiling the
software, how it is supposed to work. I'm not sure at all that his
purpose his similar to the Savannah patch tracker.

In fact, I have the strong feeling that epm goal is pretty different
than the patch tracker at Savannah.

In the case of the patch tracker at Savannah, is it about managing
patches wrote by someone external to a project inside the context of
project. It is a web interface where people can post a patch, add
comments (etc.)

In the case of epm, it does not seems to be a project management tool
of patch but a personal patch management. It does not come to with a
web interface and does not involve how projects handle patches but how
an individual create patches.

I may misunderstand the goal of this project but the description made
by the author and is pretty short.

Here it is:

    "* It doesn't use CVS or require it.  When you `epm add' files, it stores
      a copy of them in the epm database for diffing later.

    * It can make diffs for added and deleted files.

    * It can handle "stacks" of patches.  You can start a patch, mail it off,
      start a new patch based on it, etc.  When you pop a patch off the stack,
      it removes the changes you made for that patch from your working tree.
      If you push it back on the stack, the changes are reapplied."

<http://savannah.nongnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/epm/epm/README?rev=1.1&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup>

address@hidden (Karl Berry) a tapoté :