savannah-dev

[Savannah-dev] Re: Harsh message

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: [Savannah-dev] Re: Harsh message
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2003 21:05:10 -0500

    > To say to somebody "we would sue you" is a harsh way to put it.

    When someone is telling that he is thinking about turning a free
    software into a proprietary one, I do not think it is a good time to
    shy.

This is not a matter of criticizing you, it is a matter of trying to
make things come out best for the GNU Project.  We have had lots of
help, over the years, from people who don't agree with our philosophy.
We want to get more help from such people in the future.

Of course we want to make it clear that they cannot use GPL-covered
code in non-free larger programs.  But we want to do this while
minimizing the risk that they get angry and don't help us at all.  It
is a rather delicate balance.  I don't always get it right, but over
the years, I have had a lot of experience to learn from.

    > That is certainly not the way we want

    We?

    What do you mean by "we"?

"We" refers to the GNU Project, and perhaps the FSF (if we're talking
about FSF-copyrighted software).  The same "we" that might perhaps
sue him as a last resort.