savannah-dev

[Savannah-dev] Savannah/CodeX documentation - Next steps?

From: Laurent Julliard
Subject: [Savannah-dev] Savannah/CodeX documentation - Next steps?
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 16:46:09 +0200

All,

I'd like to start a discussion around documentation here. I know this is not one of the favorite topic of developers but this is a crucial part of a project like Savannah (or CodeX at Xerox).

The reason Iask this question is because I have written a 100+ page user manual for our CodeX site at Xerox and we want to contribute this manual to Savannah. Of course an obvious solution is to deliver a PDF version of the document as is but I don;t like this idea. It is my impression that both Savannah and CodeX could make progress on this topic:

CodeX
-----
- User Manual native format is currently MS-Word (aargh!)
- It is a monolithic document and CodeX online help system cannot be derived from this manual... (not good)

Savannah
--------
- Admin documentation are is in Info format (texi), The FAQ uses plain HTML files and some other help files are historically PHP - There is no way to generate a user manual from all these pieces of help files. - Savannah lacks end-uder documentation (I mean documentation of the Services themselves) and could therefore re-use a lot from the CodeX User Guide.

So I guess my questions here is can we use a format for the documentation that would allow for:

- The generation of both HTML, Postscript and PDF formats.
- The HTML should be generated into pieces and it should be able to generate CSS based HTML to take advantage of a "help" css file that can vary from one site to another. - Each chunck of HTML could be re-used by the SAvannah/CodeX online help (for an example of the SAvannah on-line help see the '?' in the new bug tracking system) - So from the previous point there is a need to indentify a specific section of the master document and point to it. - Probably a need for connditional generation (the content may change from one site to another or from one format to another)
- Include images (for screenshots or other)

Can the tex info format do all this? Is the DocBook format better? or others?

Any idea and comment welcome.

LJ