samizdat-devel

MVC refactoring: now in CVS

From: Dmitry Borodaenko
Subject: MVC refactoring: now in CVS
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 20:02:27 +0100

Now you know what kept me busy and why I was so silent and hard to
reach. I was working on refactoring Samizdat into following MVC
pattern, and I reached the point where resulting code works. There are
still bugs and unfinished things, but the main features should all be
there. There's no snapshot tarball and Debian package just yet, I
don't want to encourage people to install this on their servers until
we give it a bit more testing and polish.

Things left behind for now: CSS stylesheets (I will update them
shortly), .po translations (I will update Russian and Belarusian, will
need help with the others), unit tests.

There was a lot of moving files around, so do at least 'cvs up -d' or,
even better, a fresh checkout. To install it in the way Debian package
installs things, put cgi-bin/dispatch.rb into
/usr/share/samizdat/cgi-bin/ (and remove other scripts from there),
copy whole contents of lib/samizdat/ into /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/samizdat/
(with the same cleanup beforehand), copy data/samizdat/templates/ to
/usr/share/samizdat/. You should also update your site's Apache config
to follow changes in doc/examples/apache.conf, same with your .yaml
configs, and do a database schema update:

ALTER TABLE member RENAME COLUMN passwd TO password;

To learn how this new MVC code works, look the the following files (in
this order):

cgi-bin/dispatch.rb
lib/samizdat/engine/dispatcher.rb
lib/samizdat/engine/controller.rb