rule-list

Re: [Rule-list] Red Hat No Longer Supports 486

From: Eugene Wong
Subject: Re: [Rule-list] Red Hat No Longer Supports 486
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 14:17:51 -0800

<snip>
My proposal, if Red Hat decides to switch to i586 packages,
is to recompile the whole distro for i386 and make it available for
download. Of course, this might not be worth the effort as well... ;-))

Best regards,
Martin Stricker

Based on the things that have been said, I think that that is the *only* way to go. After all, you're all going to offer a slinky iso. You may as well go the whole way. It took me about 1 week to install Gentoo on a Pentium 180MHz 64 MB. Therefore, spending about 1-4 weeks compiling RH for everybody on the Internet is a good use of computer resources. As it is there are very few people using i386, so only updating your version of RH for every *.2 would be just fine. Also, it's not as if RULE needs to release as quickly as RH.

Maybe you could have an installation option where people can install from sources. If the users have the time and resources, then why not compile everything?

One advantage of RULE compiling its own, is that it really helps to avoid the need to always update the installer based on the kernel and binaries.

The compatibility that RULE will keep, is the directory structure, package management, and other lower level stuff.

Surf the Web without missing calls! Get MSN Broadband. http://resourcecenter.msn.com/access/plans/freeactivation.asp