jami

Re: [Ring] Meeting about"Idea/Question: Refactoring your development"

From: Anna Marei
Subject: Re: [Ring] Meeting about"Idea/Question: Refactoring your development"
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2018 17:23:11 +0100 (CET)

Hi Sebastien,

thanks for your time and all the thoughts and ideas you came up with! Will answer inline.

Have nice day!
Sebastien Bin <address@hidden> hat am 1. März 2018 um 15:55 geschrieben:

Hi,

Yesterday, we discussed our different tools and how it can be complicated to start contribut ing . This was just to open the discussion .

Currently, we mainly use these tools:
1. Tuleap as a wiki and a bug tracker.
2. Transifex for translation
3. Jenkins for the CI

In addition here: https://about.gitlab.com/features/gitlab-ci-cd/ GitLab could handle this as an inegrated solution as well.

For the start there seems to be a Jenkins integration as well https://about.gitlab.com/features/jenkins/

4. Gerrit for code review and patch management. We also have a gitlab mirror and a github mirror.
When someone wants to contribute, they have to submit a patch to gerrit and wait for a reviewer. When the patch is accepted, it's merged in to the master branch, and when a new feature is here, we merge the master branch into the production branch.

This process has been working for a long time and is not a hindrance yet, but it's not the best for any volunteer. Indeed, they face some difficulties:
+ Tuleap is difficult to use for anyone not in the Ring team. When you are connected, the bug tracker is really hard to find (search 'Ring' in the search bar, choose the project, go to trackers, then choose between all options). Moreover, we actually don't really uses the roadmap or the milestone system in Tuleap.
+ We also need to use an alternative to Transifex (such as Pootle or Weblate) since a long time and it is in the roadmap.

Still don't know Pootle, but Weblate could be great solution.
Found, that it has an API to connect and work with GitLab to provide a continous translation experience
https://docs.weblate.org/en/latest/admin/continuous.html?highlight=gitlab#automatically-receiving-changes-from-gitlab

+ Gerrit is not user friendly at first. And you need a proprietary solution for authentification.

Ah didn't know about this proprietary authentification thingy ...

The discussion results in some points:
1. We definit e ly need a beta and a production branch, not just the production one on all clients .

Great, love that idea!

2. We will not migrate to a closed solution like G ithub.

I am in favor! You shouldn't do that if you really want to make free software.

But, we can switch to G itlab for the wiki and the bug tracking part.

Will you introduce roadmaps or milestones then?

not to nail you guys to them, of course;) But for better orientation. And maybe you can use the label system there. E.g. to mark upcomming issues as "need help" or "good to start for newcomers" ...

If we do that we will need to host a new G itlab instance or use another one.

Is your actual GitLab mirror hosted by GitLab or by yourself?

We also need a script to migrate issues from Tuleap to Gitlab.

I will have a look into that ;) Maybe it could be an idea to tidy out the old issue stuff as well!? Otherwise you still migrate all the issue that haven't been touched for years now ...

3. We will continue to use Gerrit for the code review (at least for now). The future version will improve a lot of things. And the OAuth provider seems to support G itlab for authentification (see https://github.com/davido/gerrit-oauth-provider )

Cool!

And: If you need a helping hand "from outside" here, just give me a hint!

Have a nice day,
Sebastien.