jami

Re: [Ring] Ring and proprietary codecs

From: Philippe Gorley
Subject: Re: [Ring] Ring and proprietary codecs
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2017 12:12:41 -0400

On 2017-08-04 08:06 PM, Thomas Daede wrote:
Great! Let me know if you need any help. We have VP8 as our preferred
codec in Firefox (with VP9 supported as well).

Will keep that in mind, thanks!

The goal is to mimic the settings from the "Real-time CBR Encoding and Streaming" section of https://www.webmproject.org/docs/encoder-parameters/

Sooner is better than later. You don't want to get into the situation
where proprietary codecs are required for compatibility with old Ring
clients. We were able to work around this for WebRTC for one codec (with
OpenH264) but that's not applicable to the other 2 proprietary codecs.
Plus, starting fresh, there's no reason to get into that mess at all.

(plus, as you may have guessed by now, I'm really not a huge fan of a
GNU project endorsing or supporting proprietary codecs)

In an ideal world, I could just remove all the codecs but VPX and only focus on those, but I don't have the final say in this. ;)

Cheers,

--
Philippe Gorley
Free Software Consultant | Montréal, Qc

Confidentiality Message: This communication (including any files
transmitted with it) is intended solely for the person or entity to
whom it is addressed, and may contain confidential or privileged
information.
The disclosure, distribution or copying of this message is strictly
forbidden. Should you have received this communication in error,
kindly contact the sender promptly, destroy any copies and delete
this message from your computer system.