jami

Re: [Ring] Future of platform-specific clients?

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: [Ring] Future of platform-specific clients?
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2017 20:57:26 -0400

There's a larger point in the discussion about plaform-specific clients,
which is the distinction between a protocol specification and an
implementation.

As I look at the ring.cx site, it talks about the implementation.  It
does not clearly give a oprotocol spec (something like you'd find in
IETF), so that someone could write an independent interoperable
implementation.  Successful protocols are either proprietary walled
gardens or have multiple independent implementations.  SIP and ZRTP, for
example, are the multiple implementation type.

If I'm following correctly, ring is opendht for discovery (which would
then have to be examined for protocol vs defined by a singleton
implementation), something sip-like for bringing up a session with the
peer once you find it, probably some kind of STUN/TURN to deal with NAT,
and something RTP/ZRTP-ish to transport the bits.