jami

[Ring] Future of platform-specific clients?

From: Tirifto
Subject: [Ring] Future of platform-specific clients?
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2017 17:11:30 +0200

Hello all!

I've read about the GSoC project of A. Salman, who wrote: “My project
is on writing a NodeJS wrapper around the Ring Daemon. Such a wrapper
will allow cross-platform Ring clients to be developed using frameworks
like Electron.”

The idea of an Electron-based client is somewhat frightening, so I'd
like to ask what are the plans for future Ring clients. Is it currently
planned to develop such a cross-platform client (utilizing web
technologies)? What is then the future for the current platform-
specific clients (Android, GNOME, Windows, OS X)?

Are they still going to be developed side-by-side, or will they be
replaced and abandoned (possibly left in the hands of the community)?

Thank you in advance
// Tirifto