jami

Re: [Ring] Supporting people setting up Ring servers

From: Adonay Felipe Nogueira
Subject: Re: [Ring] Supporting people setting up Ring servers
Date: Wed, 17 May 2017 23:18:35 -0300

About using the latest version, perhaps the "opendht" package in GNU
Guix can be of some use. It's currently in version 0.6.1, but guess that
once we have the packages related to GNU Ring in GNU Guix ready, then
everything will be updated.

Currently, the packages related to GNU Ring only have a test recipe made
by me, the test recipe is somewhat old (around one or two months old),
but it might be useful. The latest version is at
[[http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2017-04/msg00430.html]].

There are still some imperfections mainly concerning the number of
specific configure-and-build options and specific patches that GNU Ring
applies to dependencies, but this is not a real problem per see, because
we can always send patches to the projects.

As far as I know, the packaging process is dormant. I assume so because
I was the last one to contribute to it. Although I know that Maxim
Cournoyer is interested in taking it over, as can be seen at
[[http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2017-04/msg00434.html]].

Last, but not less importnat, perhaps we don't even need to wait for the
set of packages to be ready, we can only take the improvement associated
with "opendht" package (and its dependencies, if any).

--
- [[https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno]]
- Palestrante e consultor sobre /software/ livre (não confundir com