jami

[Ring] Linux Mint Support (External Contributions)

From: Brian Bisaillon
Subject: [Ring] Linux Mint Support (External Contributions)
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2017 22:08:30 -0500

Hi everyone,

I am new to the mailing list (once I'm approved). I have installed Ring on my PC (Windows 7) and MacBook Pro (macOS Sierra 10.12.2). I can't really test a whole lot yet because I only have one contact (Director from SFL) who introduced me to Ring.

I have a lot of past Linux experience (built my own Linux distro from scratch in the past) and you can have a look at my LinkedIn Profile at https://www.linkedin.com/in/brian-bisaillon-38323b4b if you want to know more about me.

In any case, perhaps one of you can have a look at my profile and let me know how you think I can best contribute in my spare time. I'm on disability at the moment so I would be doing it strictly on a volunteer basis.

I'm not sure if I can contribute on the software development front. I'm more of a hobbyist vs. a career programmer. I have dabbled in many languages such as Assembler, Authority, BASIC, Borland Pascal, Erlang, GNU C, Logo, PHP, QBasic, Turbo Pascal, Visual Basic, etc. but I'm more of a jack of all trades, master of none in that department.

It's been a long time since I really did any serious programming. However, I continue to maintain my PHP Web Toolkit (phpwebtk) project on Github and SourceForge just for fun. I used it for prototyping web applications in the past.

In my final year of college I developed a small chat server in Erlang and GNU C for comparison. In high school, I developed an inventory management application in QBasic with GUI menus. In Pascal, I developed some code for an electronic magazine. So none of these things are really major projects. Lately, I've managed to install all the prerequisites to compile Ring on Mac OSX. I have Visual Studio and other stuff setup in a Windows 10 VM. I also have a few Linux VMs (CentOS, Linux Mint, openSUSE). I run all my VMs in VirtualBox on my PC in Windows 7.

Finally, I do have access to gerrit-ring, test SFL (Jenkins dashboard) and Tuleap so I can see the bugs being submitted for Ring. If I run into any I'll be sure to report back. If you want to add me as a contact here's my RingID:
ring:a39dc3d318da11f938fd49f4144af908ff544926

Kind regards,
Brian.