Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Remove (large) files from backup without genera

From: Robert Nichols
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Remove (large) files from backup without generating negative diff
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2017 08:39:27 -0500

On 06/11/2017 05:13 AM, Marcin Zajączkowski wrote:

I have a long established backup with some large files which I would
like to move to another directory withing the same backup (or just
remove entirely from the backup) as a clean up of the original disk
space/organization. I would like to avoid extra many GBs in the next
incremental backup session when those files are moved/removed. I don't
need their history - they will be backed up in another way/place.

I have a rather horrific shell script that does that, at least for the case
where both the source and the archive are on Linux filesystems and there is no
long_filename_data in the archive. I'll attach the top comments and usage
output. E-mail me directly if you want the script. I've been using it
successfully for several years (hasn't needed any changes since 2012-12-22),
but it's never been tested in any other environment, and I'd rather not
distribute it widely.

                Do NOT delete it.