[rdiff-backup-users] How does rdiff-backup really detect changed files?

From: David Croll
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] How does rdiff-backup really detect changed files?
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2016 16:15:07 +0200

Dear wizards of rdiff-backup,

as a user of rdiff-backup and main author of the German Wikipedia page on rdiff-backup I want to ask you a few questions because the manual pages are not very clear on this:

- Is SHA-1 always used to determine if a file has been modified? I assume this since the file "mirror_metadata.*.diff.gz" contains the SHA-1 digests of the files that have changed since last backup. - What is the exact meaning of the --verify, --compare-hash and compare-full options? They all seem to deal with SHA-1 digests or making sure that changed files are indeed copied to the backup directory. This is a bit irritating - users might chose the --compare-hash option, but rdiff-backup --compare hash <source> <destination> does not actually do a backup.

With the very best thanks for this great but yet extremely simple backup tool!

David