Re: [rdiff-backup-users] State of the rdiff-backup project

From: Robert Nichols
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] State of the rdiff-backup project
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2015 09:12:32 -0500

On 08/15/2015 05:17 AM, Frank Crawford wrote:
However, these days, hard links are not that common, as most people
prefer symbolic links.

You might want to look in the directory trees under /usr/share/zoneinfo
and /var/lib/yum/yumdb and reconsider that statement. Files in that
latter tree can have over 1000 hard links, and there are changes there
whenever you install/update/uninstall packages. rdiff-backup does a
pretty horrible job of keeping the archive in sync with the source
when there are changes, and regressing a backup makes it worse. I have
an very complex audit that I run after every backup to put the archive
back in sync with the source tree.

                Do NOT delete it.