Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Error 1? Final moment permissions problem on ta

From: Claus-Justus Heine
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Error 1? Final moment permissions problem on target?
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2014 13:36:48 +0200

Am 15.04.14 13:27, schrieb Ron Leach:> Useful pointers, thank you.  What
I find is that all the *directories*
> under /mnt/exist-dest and /mnt/new-dest have the same permissions
> (exactly as I had intended by using the -a parameter on the cp command
> to copy the existing backups to the new machine), but the mount points,
> indeed, do differ in owner and group.  Both mount points have
> permissions 40777 (shown by mc), so that any user can read and write.
>
> In detail, the mount point of the existing backup /mnt/exist-dest has
> owner ron, group users, permissions 40777.
>
> The mount point of the new backup /mnt/new-dest has owner root, group
> root, permissions 40777.

Personally, I would probably stick to the mount point owned by root,
would not give "tmp"-permissions to it but instead would create a
subdirectory for the backup below the mount-point. At least the default
ownership of the NFS-mounted volume should be owner of that directory on
the remote machine (from memory, could be wrong in this point). So maybe
one point could be to chown the matching directory of "/mnt/new-dest" on
the hosting server (s.t. it would be owned by the backup user). So you
probably need to change the ownership on the machine hosting the real
hard-disk (AFAIK).

Best,

Claus

--