Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Safe to remove old increments while a backup ru

From: Sam's Lists
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Safe to remove old increments while a backup runs?
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2014 16:04:35 -0700

On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 2:41 AM, Thomas Harold <address@hidden> wrote:
On 3/26/2014 4:59 AM, Sam's Lists wrote:
> I was removing some old increments on my backup server using:
>
> rdiff-backup --remove-older-than 3M --force root
>
> While this was running a cronjob on a remote computer started backing up
> to my backup server (the same directory).
>
> This is perfectly safe right?

Well, hopefully the remote computer would abort saying that the
destination rdiff-backup directory is in use... it's generally not safe
to have two rdiff-backup commands hitting the folder at the same time.
And I'm pretty sure that rdiff-backup checks for that.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to test for that.

It seems like this might be safe behavior though. I mean just thinking about the way the older backups must be stored. I'm not sure why it would matter if deletes were being made when the backup happened.

Anyway, what should I do now? Is there an easy way to tell if my backup was corrupted?