Re: [rdiff-backup-users] cannot directly recover file but enclosing fold

From: Robert Nichols
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] cannot directly recover file but enclosing folder
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2014 09:08:48 -0500

On 03/15/2014 01:53 AM, Nicolas Jungers wrote:
Yesterday I discovered that the user cannot recover a deleted file any more. But
the user can recover the directory two levels above and from there extract the
desired file.

That seems quite odd to me and I wonder what can lead to that situation? I
suspect that it can be due to the fact that the directory was deleted, the
deletion recorded by riff-backup and later the directory got recreated/restored.

I cannot reproduce that behavior. What was the exact command used in the
unsuccessful attempt? Note that specifying a time like "-r 0B" or "-r 2B"
probably won't work because those integers refer to the increments of the
total archive, not increments of the particular file. You need to run
"rdiff-backup -l /archive_dir/path/to/the/file" to get the list of
increments available for that file, and then use one of those timestamps
in the argument to "-r".

                Do NOT delete it.