Re: [rdiff-backup-users] crash with false "No space left on device' rais

From: Leon Maurer
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] crash with false "No space left on device' raised of class" error
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2013 09:46:16 -0600

That seems to have done it; the regress succeeded, and hopefully I can now back-up my computer.

Thanks for your help.
-Leon

On Sat, Nov 9, 2013 at 7:51 AM, Greg Troxel <address@hidden> wrote:
Leon Maurer <address@hidden> writes:

> Howdy,
>
> I'm having trouble with rdiff-backup crashing. It claims there's "No space
> left on device", which is patently false. The drive is a 2TB drive that's
> 66% free when rdiff-backup is running:
>
> address@hidden:/media/seagate$ df -h | grep seagate
> /dev/sdc1            1.9T  604G  1.3T  33% /media/seagate

My memory is slightly fuzzy, but I think that rdiff-backup stores things
in /tmp, particularly when regressing failed backups.  I ran into
symptoms similar to yours when using rdiff-backup on NetBSD 5 (i386)
backing up a large (500G used out of most of 2T) filesystem onto a 2T
external drive.  All filesystems were ffs (UFS2).   But /tmp on my
system is a mere 1GB, using tmpfs (stores in virtual memory).  I think I
set TMPDIR=/path/on/huge/real/disk/tmp and then was able to do the
regress.