Re: [rdiff-backup-users] SpecialFileError...AF_UNIX path too long

From: Thomas H. George
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] SpecialFileError...AF_UNIX path too long
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2013 16:47:14 -0400

Thomas H. George wrote:
Ian Zimmerman wrote:
On Sat, 26 Oct 2013 14:39:45 -0400
"Thomas H. George"<address@hidden>  wrote:

An attempt to backup my desktop failed with the message:
SpecialFileError /home/tom/.cache/keyring-Jw0E3d/control Socket error:
AF_UNIX path too long
This doesn't answer your question directly, but you can
--exclude-sockets to skip all AF_UNIX socket files.  It doesn't make
much sense to back them up anyway, IMHO.

I tried adding --exclude-sockets to the command line but it had no effect, the backup again failed with the same SpecialFileError as above.

Could it be that the SpecialFileErrors are unimportant?
I found that the rdiif-backup program exited with 0 even tough while it was running there were SpecialFileError messages and the listed statistics reported 2 errors. Based on this finding I ran the program again. There had been no files added, changed or delelted and this second run completed quickly reporting no errors