Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Maintenance

From: Dominic Raferd
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Maintenance
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2013 17:47:54 +0100

Ned, I think it would be great it you wanted to be maintainer, if you have the time to do it. Andrew went off to pastures new a while ago and isn't seen around here now, so the project has been unmaintained for a while. I might be able to get you an email address for him though. Failing that I guess you could create a fork.

There is a wish-list somewhere (quite a long and old one I'm afraid). But it might be easier to look back at bug-related issues that have arisen on the mailing list over the last couple of years. Or I dare say if you ask here you will get suggestions (too many maybe!)

Some of the recurrent issues relate to backups to/on Windows filesystems or saving/recovering Windows ACLs. However rdiff-backup is stable in my experience for backups *from* Windows onto Linux fs and back to Windows, ignoring ACLs. I am not sure about how well it works on Macs these days, but I haven't seen many issues raised here... One serious failing in rdiff-backup is its verification procedures which are rather inadequate.

My suggestion would be to focus on fundamental bug issues and functionality rather than 'front-end' because others can always wrap rdiff-backup with tools that make it easy to use. The bigger problem is if it is, or is perceived to be, unreliable.

I created and maintain TimeDicer (http://www.timedicer.co.uk) which is a (free) front-end for rdiff-backup on Windows (among other things it handles snapshots), but I don't do python so I can't help with coding - sorry.

Someone else looked at the rdiff-backup codebase a while back and said it was very untidy and repetitious and they lost interest in updating it. Just warning you before you get stuck in! But you would be performing a great service...

Regards

Dominic