[rdiff-backup-users] Maintenance

From: Edward Ned Harvey
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Maintenance
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2013 09:35:34 -0400

Hey everyone - Andrew here?  Anybody else a current maintainer?

I'd like to offer some assistance.  While I don't have a lot of time, I'm very good as a sysadmin, and pretty good at python and C.  (Currently a half-time IT person, and half-time C# / .Net developer, and in a past life, have had roles as fulltime java and python developer.)

The very first thing I'd like to address is the broken links on the rdiff-backup page.

Does a wiki still exist?  If so, I'd like to correct that link.  And if not, remove it.

I'd like to correct the link to the mailing list.

After that, I'd like to discuss moving off CVS, perhaps go to svn or git.  I would bias toward svn just cuz it's simpler, and this is a very low activity project...  Git would win hands-down if it were a huge rapidly developing project with a lot of maintainers.  But if you want to use git, I can go along with that, and for that matter ...  If you really don't want to get off CVS, so be it.

But I want to move to subversion.

I would like to add two really simple features:

#1  Ability to store comments, when you send a backup.  Similar to a versioning system commit message.  I presume the argument syntax would be like

-m "message goes here"

(Heck, it would be nice to store a list of changed files in each backup rev too, or create the ability to easily display differences from rev X to rev Y, but that might be a little tougher.  Create the --show-log option and --diff to compare two backups against each other.)

#2  A config file that allows user to specify named backup sets.  So you don't need to specify the complete source & destination path every time you want to send a newly updated backup.  You just say something like:

sudo rdiff-backup etc -m 'updated ssl certs due to expiration date'