[rdiff-backup-users] Rdiff-backup process runs indefinitely

From: Garrett Robinson
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Rdiff-backup process runs indefinitely
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 12:26:33 -0800

I recently noticed one of the rdiff-backup processes on our backup
server was taking far longer than the typical 1-3 hours to run. I caught
it when it had been running continuously for about 5 days after it was
initiated. I killed the process and re-ran it, and received this in the

Previous backup seems to have failed, regressing destination now.

Followed by lots of disk activity but no other output. This process
against ran for over a day before I killed it.

This appears to be mentioned in your website FAQ:
http://rdiff-backup.nongnu.org/FAQ.html#regress_failure. Since it says
this "should not happen", I am writing a message to the mailing list. I
am going to try the suggested workaround, but would appreciate any other
advice or insight into the potential causes of this problem.

If any of my rdiff-backup logs can be useful for debugging, let me know
and I would be happy to provide them!

Garrett Robinson