[rdiff-backup-users] Rdiff-backup process runs indefinitely

From: Garrett Robinson
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Rdiff-backup process runs indefinitely
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 12:26:33 -0800

I recently noticed one of the rdiff-backup processes on our backup
server was taking far longer than the typical 1-3 hours to run. I caught
it when it had been running continuously for about 5 days after it was
initiated. I killed the process and re-ran it, and received this in the
rdiff-backup-date/backup.log:

Previous backup seems to have failed, regressing destination now.

Followed by lots of disk activity but no other output. This process
against ran for over a day before I killed it.

This appears to be mentioned in your website FAQ:
http://rdiff-backup.nongnu.org/FAQ.html#regress_failure. Since it says
this "should not happen", I am writing a message to the mailing list. I
am going to try the suggested workaround, but would appreciate any other
advice or insight into the potential causes of this problem.

If any of my rdiff-backup logs can be useful for debugging, let me know
and I would be happy to provide them!

Cheers,
Garrett Robinson