[rdiff-backup-users] Compression of latest backup (mirrored files)

From: thfl
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Compression of latest backup (mirrored files)
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2012 16:48:39 +0200

Hi,

I was playing around with rdiff-backup on OSX and I'm considering to use it for
some local backups (instead of duplicity), especially because of the xattr
support. But there is one thing that bothers me:

By default rdiff-backup stores the latest backup (the "mirrored" files) as
uncompressed files and thus is really wasting a lot of space.
Is there any way to activate file compression for the latest backup? (The

I guess there must be an option for this, as it is not very useful to store a
backup without compression. (IMO this would only make sense in case of true
bidirectional sync (but rdiff-backup apparently is not made for this) or other
special use cases.)

Thanks for any hint.

Best wishes
Tom