Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup logging in through sshd several ti

From: chuck odonnell
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup logging in through sshd several times
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2012 14:24:47 -0400

On Wed, Sep 05, 2012 at 10:56:29AM -0700, weloki wrote:

> My setup is such that the backup server logs in to each remote host
> and fetches all the data to store centrally (source is remote,
> destination is local).
>
> Perhaps the specifics of what I'm doing would give clues...  I set
> up a regular user's account for rdiff-backup on my backup server as
> well as a directory where I save the backed up files to. That
> directory has permissions for only rdiff-backup user and group
> (chmod -R rdiff-backup:rdiff-backup /dirname). On the servers that I
> want to be backed up I also created a user account for rdiff-backup,
> and in addition to the entry in /etc/sudoers, in the file at
> /rdiff-backup_home/.ssh/authorized_keys I put this on one line:
>
> command="sudo rdiff-backup --server --restrict-read-only
> /",from="backup_server_IP_address",no-port-forwarding,no-X11-forwarding,no-pty
> ssh-rsa AAAAB3NzaC1<...long SSH public key here...> ==
> address@hidden
>
> So would each command rdiff-backup issues on the remote hosts
> require a separate SSH login session?

To the best of my knowledge all commands between the local and remote
rdiff-backup processes are passed through the initial ssh
connection. It is not typical to see 100s of connections opening and
closing willy-nilly.

If you are seeing multiple connects and disconnects it may be worth
looking at some other possible causes. Consider network time outs,
router time outs, bandwidth caps, a bad network card, QoS, ssh config,
etc.

Perhaps try remotely tarring up a big folder using ssh and see if it
drops the connection.

Good luck.