Re: [rdiff-backup-users] "Exception '[Errno 112] Host is down:" along wi

From: Robert Nichols
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] "Exception '[Errno 112] Host is down:" along with --exclude-other-filesystems
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 10:31:00 -0500

On 08/22/2012 02:05 AM, Gregor Zattler wrote:
today rdiff-backup throw an exception

Exception '[Errno 112] Host is down: '/mnt/XXX/XXXXXXXXXXX'' raised of class
'<type 'exceptions.OSError'>':

because the host which provided a samba share was not reachable.
This astonishes me because I run rdiff-backup with option
--exclude-other-filesystems and /mnt/XXX/XXXXXXXXXXX is a mount
point for another file system (which normally is not mounted
while backing up.  Therefore this exception never occurred
before).

Why then is it exceptional that the samba share is not accessible
any more?  Shouldn't it not be touched since it is on another
file system??

There's a bit of a "Catch 22" there.  The most straightforward way to find
that the directory is in a different file system is to issue a stat() call
and see if st_dev differs from the value for the current file system.  But
that stat() call will fail if the remote host is down.

Doing the exclude by name should avoid the problem.  Simply excluding
/mnt/* might suffice, since basically anything under /mnt should be a
different file system.

                Do NOT delete it.