Re: [rdiff-backup-users] resuming initial backup

From: D. Kriesel
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] resuming initial backup
Date: Sun, 20 May 2012 14:02:11 +0200

The whole history will be lost when following this procedure, which renders
it inappropriate for backup repositories whose history actually exists.

However, if I get Tim right, he is talking about an interrupted _initial_
backup run. In this case, giving up the entire history obviously does not do
any harm. Without any metadata (i.e. the rdiff-backup-data subfolder), afaik
a forced rdiff-backup run will take whatever there is in the target folder
as a base and won't retransfer existing parts. So my solution might be the
right thing to do in this special case.

Tim, just to let you know in addition: A more general solution that is
resistant against transmission issues might actually be to
  1) rdiff-backup to a local repository, followed by an
  2) rsync to the remote box that causes the slow bandwidth.

HTH
David