Re: [rdiff-backup-users] SafeKeep version 1.4.0 (stable) released

From: Dimi Paun
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] SafeKeep version 1.4.0 (stable) released
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2012 10:31:51 -0500

Hi Matt,

You are correct -- we need to clarify the fact that we don't fork or copy the rdiff-backup codebase.

Just to be clear: we simply call out to your installed version of rdiff-backup. We just provide a simpler, centralized interface to it.
If you look at our RPMs/DEBs, you we'll see that we "Require" the rdiff-backup package.

By way of comparison, safekeep uses rdiff-backup under the hood the same way say gcc used cpp, asm, cc1, ldd to build an executable.
(this is no longer a valid comparison as gcc now integrates cpp directly instead of calling out to it, but we don't do that for rdiff-backup).

Hope this is a better explanation,
Dimi.