Re: [rdiff-backup-users] confirmation of Backup by rdiffbackup

From: Marian 'VooDooMan' Meravy
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] confirmation of Backup by rdiffbackup
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2011 07:18:18 +0100

Hi,

crontab -e

opens the default editor for your crontab. as an example, mine is:

0 4 * * * backup.sh

I am using vixie-cron, so before this crontab line I have as well:

PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/home/my_account_name/bin

above means that each day at 4 AM it will run "backup.sh", I have this
script in directory /home/my_account_name/bin/

(see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crontab )

my "backup.sh" is rather complicated, but basically it something like:

#!/bin/sh
rdiff-backup --print-statistics /path/from/ address@hidden::/path/to/
2>&1 ; echo "RC = $?"

which means it will backup /path/from/ to remote machine example.com
under account name "user" (via ssh) and into /path/to/ on that machine,
and after backup all up echo out the return code. Since cron daemon is
executing these commands, all "echo out"/output from rdiff-backup will
get mailed to root account of the machine the crontab is installed. If
you are using vixie-cron, you can change mail address via:

address@hidden

or just

MAILTO=myaddress

(the latter will send mail to "myaddress" account on the same machine it
runs). So in case of vixie-cron (extensions) crontab (via "crontab -e")
will look like:

address@hidden
PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/home/my_account_name/bin
0 4 * * * backup.sh

best,
vdm
.