[rdiff-backup-users] Way to handle symlinks

From: Steve Dutky
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Way to handle symlinks
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 13:37:22 -0500

Dear All,

I need to backup a directory with multiple large files of the form snapshot/foo-yymmddhhMMSS.log  which are snapshots of foo.log.

Conceptually,  what I would like to do is for each file

ln -s snapshot/foo-yymmddhhMMSS.log intermediate/foo.log

rdiff-backup intermediate  backup

Can anyone suggest a sane way of doing this?   I'm mounting snapshot across a network and I would like to avoid unnecessarily copying files.

This was discussed on http://old.nabble.com/Can-I-make-rdiff-backup-follow-symlinks--td17100388.html

Thanks, Steve