[rdiff-backup-users] Capitalized letters from windows to linux

From: Valerio Pachera
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Capitalized letters from windows to linux
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2011 18:02:08 +0200

Hi all, I know this problem is not new but I couldn't find the solution anywere.

Try simply to copy a file with capitalized letters in the file name
form windows to a linux rdiff-backup server.

I created the file àèìòù.txt in a test folder (windows), then I copied it by:

rdiff-backup.exe --print-statistics --override-chars-to-quote ''
--remote-schema "plink -i private.ppk %%s rdiff-backup --server"
"F:/test" address@hidden::/mnt/dati/backup/f/test

I get no error from rdiff-backup but when I look at the backed up file
I see a question mark for each capitalized letter:

# ls -l test/
totale 4
drwx------ 3 root root 4096  4 ott 17.52 rdiff-backup-data
-rw-rw-rw- 1 root root    0  4 ott 17.46 ?????.txt

I'm using rdiff-backup 1.2.8 on both sides.
The linux server is running debian squeeze x86_64.
The windows server is running windows server 2008 64 bit.

I got the same problem in the past between debian lenny and windows 2003.