Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Memory usage during regressions

From: Claus-Justus Heine
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Memory usage during regressions
Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2011 19:54:46 +0200

On 08/06/2011 07:51 PM, Maarten Bezemer wrote:

I don't know the internals of rdiff-backup, but I do know that there is
a runtime option to disable compression of .snapshot and .diff files.
When file operations are done properly, this might be helpful (using
memory mapped file access instead of decompressing/compressing, so
effectively using pointers to disk instead of ram).

But I don't know whether it would work that way. The only thing I do
know is that it will at best help you in the future, as it is not going
to change anything wrt historic files.

Thanks, Maarten, as Robert pointed out: only the two most recent backups are needed for regression, so it is at least worth trying. I was not aware of the switch (I probably should RTFM with more concentration).

Best,

Claus