Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Activity

From: Joe Steele
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Activity
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2011 17:24:28 -0400

On 8/1/2011 10:29 AM, Robert Nichols wrote:
and I would add:

* Correct handling of hard-linked files. This is currently broken in
two places. (1) During a verify operation, rdiff-backup will
complain about a missing checksum for each link other than the one
that appears first in the mirror_metadata file. (2) If you add more
hard links to a file that already had multiple hard links, then a
restore operation may result in those links being divided into two
or more groups, each with its own, independent copy of the file.

FYI, I had submitted some patches which I think fix the problems with hard-linked files:

http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?26848

Auditing the database to detect and correct item (2) is decidedly
non-trivial since the reverse-diffs of the metadata file are also
affected.

The patches won't correct any issues with previous backups in a repository, but they should correct the repository going forward.

I've been using the patches for some time now without problems. I would be interested in having some other people test them out.

--Joe